Instituted July 28, 1853
Meets 1st & 3rd Thursday 7:00pm
Meeting Location: 113 S. Church St. Grass Valley, CA
Mailing Address: 113 S. Church St. Grass Valley, CA 95945
Instituted July 10, 1945
Meets 2nd & 4th Tuesday 7:00pm
Meeting Location: 2329 Santa Clara Ave, Alameda, CA
Mailing Address: PO Box 2183, Alameda, CA 95401
In 1945 Porter Lodge #272 and Oakland Lodge #118 consolidated and was issued by the Grand Lodge of California the number 3. Oakland Lodge met in the Odd Fellows Hall located at the corner of 11th St. and Franklin Street.
This lodge lost most of their records to the fire in May of 1946. It is not certain but they may have lost the records of the Oakland Lodge #118 & Porter Lodge #272.
Instituted June 27, 1863
Meets 1st & 3rd Thursdays 7:00pm
Meeting Location: 40955 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
Mailing Address: 40955 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538
History of the Lodge
In 1862, many members of Crusade Lodge #93 were traveling from Washington Corners to Alvarado for meetings. 6 members started meeting at the Washington Hotel to discuss starting a Lodge in Washington Corners. The hall was donated by A.O. Rix (He later joined the lodge and was instrumental in starting the library and the Rebekah Lodge in the area) in 1897 Washington Corners became Irving, but this only lasted a year before the name was again changed to Irvington, in 1965 the city of Fremont was started and the street named changed from Broadway to Fremont Blvd. In 1989, the members (Forced by government standards) updated our building codes to meet the new earthquake standards and added an elevator. We are a strong active lodge in our community, but membership is small. Please contact the webmaster for information on this lodge or any active lodge in California.
History of the Location
First met in the Washington Hotel, Now Gone. In the late part of 1863, A.O. Rix (Became a member later) donated a building he owned to the members, which they later bought along with a large peice of property. This building burned in the big fire of 1895. However, as luck would have it, in 1890 they built their new meeting hall right next door in 1890, so they were not in the old building at the time of the fire. Mission peak is still meeting in their “New” hall since 1890, with only a breif period after the 1906 earthquake to repair mild brick damage after the big quake.
This lodge also owned a cemetery about 1/4 mile north on Bay street which was sold in the 1960’s. As a member of this Lodge, I am proud of our history and of our building and will continue to preserve as much as I can our old Lodge halls and their history.
Instituted September 9, 1849
Re-Instituted June 28, 1988
Meets 1st & 3rd Tuesday 7:30pm
Meeting Location: 3250 19th Ave (Risk Hall), San Francisco, CA
Mailing Address: PO Box 5566, So San Francisco, CA 94083
History of the Lodge
In Philadelphia, before 1849, the Sovereign Grand Lodge issued the charter “California Lodge #1” and sent it to California with 6 charter members.
Due to the fever of GOLD, some of the charter members left for the hills, leaving James Smiley behind to organize a lodge in San Francisco.
After the earthquake in 1906 one member defied soldiers orders, entered the Lodge and saved the charter just before the building was dynamited as a break to stop the fire that was taking over the city.
In 1966 California Lodge #1 consolidated with Concordia Lodge #122, however in 1988 Concordia Lodge petitioned the Grand Lodge of California to restore the original charter and allow Concordia Lodge to become California Lodge #1 again.
Today California Lodge #1 is very active in their community. They made the decision to run the Lodge like a corporation with a Board of Directors, operation budgets and committee chairpeople. This growing lodge now has over 300 members.
History of the Location
First met in the Levi Stowell bldg. at Montgomery between Jackson & Washington. Later they moved to a larger hall owned by J.D. Stevenson on the east side of Kearny between Pine & California where they met until the fire of 1850. They then moved to the Gianella bldg. on the east side of Montgomery between Jackson & Washington. In 1859 the members moved yet again to larger quarters on the N.E. corner of Bush & Kearny. Finally in 1865 they had their first temple owned by the members on the west side of Montgomery St. between Pine st. & California St.
In 1884, the grand hall of the Odd Fellows was built with many meeting rooms. Grand Lodge of California, several Odd Fellows Lodges and several Grand Lodge sessions were held here until the Great Quake of 1906. This building took the entire block of the west side of Market St. between 7th & 8th.
After the quake California 1 met in many location until 1910 when the new hall at 7th & Market was rebuilt. California 1 met for years on the 6th floor, “Encampment hall” of the new building.
In 1994, after a declining membership took it’s toll on this lodge, a survey was sent to the members asking, what would get you back to Lodge, the biggest concern was the saftey of the membership coming into an undesirable downtown area, so in 1994 this Lodge and Bay City Lodge #71 moved to it’s new location.