Instituted May 23, 1873
Meets 1st & 3rd Thursdays 8:00pm
Meeting Location: 2160 First St. Livermore, CA
Mailing Address: PO Box 988, Livermore, CA 94551
Instituted May 7, 1877
Meets 1st Wednesday 7:00pm
Meeting Location: Mission Masonic Center, 2668 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Mailing Address: Morse Lodge #257, P.O Box 210574, San Francisco CA 94121
Instituted January 28, 1851
Meets 2nd & 4th Thursdays 7:30pm
Meeting Location: 1831 Howe Ave, Sacramento, CA 95825
Mailing Address: 1831 Howe Ave, Sacramento, CA 95825
History of the Lodge
Sacramento Lodge #2 was instituted by DD Grand Sire James Smiley, a charter member of California Lodge #1. The institution was held in the “Red House” loacted at 5th & J St. in sacramento, the same building where the Masons met.
On January 27th 1951 the Lodge celebrated their 100th anniversary in the Silver room of the Odd Fellows temple located at 9th & K st.
This Lodge, along with Eldorado #8 and Occidental Encampment own a very nice cemetary.
History of the Location
This Lodge has had 7 homes. First meeting in the “Red House” from January 1851 – March 1851 when they relocated to the “Whitney Bldg.” located at 4th & J st.
In December 1852 the Lodge moved to the “Stanford Bldg.” located at 3rd & K st. but this bldg. was lost to fire so the members again had to move, this time to the Bennett Bldg. located on J st. between Front & 2nd st.
They moved again, date uncertain, to the St. George Bldg. at the SE corner of 4th & J st. and stayed here until their new and magnificent hall was built on the corner of 9th & K.
This hall stayed in use for the several area lodges until the changing times made it unsafe for the membership to remain. They sold this hall in 1984 and purchased a nice building where they meet to this date on Howe Ave.
Instituted September 9, 1849
Re-Instituted June 28, 1988
Meets 1st & 3rd Tuesday 7:30pm
Meeting Location: 3250 19th Ave (Risk Hall), San Francisco, CA
Mailing Address: PO Box 5566, So San Francisco, CA 94083
History of the Lodge
In Philadelphia, before 1849, the Sovereign Grand Lodge issued the charter “California Lodge #1” and sent it to California with 6 charter members.
Due to the fever of GOLD, some of the charter members left for the hills, leaving James Smiley behind to organize a lodge in San Francisco.
After the earthquake in 1906 one member defied soldiers orders, entered the Lodge and saved the charter just before the building was dynamited as a break to stop the fire that was taking over the city.
In 1966 California Lodge #1 consolidated with Concordia Lodge #122, however in 1988 Concordia Lodge petitioned the Grand Lodge of California to restore the original charter and allow Concordia Lodge to become California Lodge #1 again.
Today California Lodge #1 is very active in their community. They made the decision to run the Lodge like a corporation with a Board of Directors, operation budgets and committee chairpeople. This growing lodge now has over 300 members.
History of the Location
First met in the Levi Stowell bldg. at Montgomery between Jackson & Washington. Later they moved to a larger hall owned by J.D. Stevenson on the east side of Kearny between Pine & California where they met until the fire of 1850. They then moved to the Gianella bldg. on the east side of Montgomery between Jackson & Washington. In 1859 the members moved yet again to larger quarters on the N.E. corner of Bush & Kearny. Finally in 1865 they had their first temple owned by the members on the west side of Montgomery St. between Pine st. & California St.
In 1884, the grand hall of the Odd Fellows was built with many meeting rooms. Grand Lodge of California, several Odd Fellows Lodges and several Grand Lodge sessions were held here until the Great Quake of 1906. This building took the entire block of the west side of Market St. between 7th & 8th.
After the quake California 1 met in many location until 1910 when the new hall at 7th & Market was rebuilt. California 1 met for years on the 6th floor, “Encampment hall” of the new building.
In 1994, after a declining membership took it’s toll on this lodge, a survey was sent to the members asking, what would get you back to Lodge, the biggest concern was the saftey of the membership coming into an undesirable downtown area, so in 1994 this Lodge and Bay City Lodge #71 moved to it’s new location.